Its officially winter and soups are back in season!
I can’t say I’m unhappy about it one little bit! 🙂
There is nothing better than rugging up under a blanket with a mug of tea and a big bowl of hearty soup and ya fav chick flick!
This recipe I really tried to replicate the flavours of a nice and chunky Minestrone. There are loads of Italian flavours in there that really remind me of my childhood. Coming from an Italian background, my Nonna used to make soups and pasta sauces for me all the time… those were the good old days!
However since going vegan… there have been no cooked meals (haha)! Maybe its the fact they put meat and cheese in everything??? POSSIBLY, who knows!
Well not in this recipe there isn’t!!!
This is completely vegan, gluten free, refined sugar free, healthy and delicious!
Fun fact for you???
Traditionally pasta sauces and tomato based soups etc add in SUGAR to balance out the saltiness! How CHEEKY! But don’t worry this soup is completely sugar free! 🙂
If you happen to make or like this recipe, please feel free to contact me through my Instagram as I love seeing your foodie pics! 🙂
HEALTHY VEGAN LENTIL SOUP
What you will need:
A large soup pot or large pan. Knives, chopping board, measuring utensils. Small grater.
1 Tbs Olive Oil
1 Tbs of Garlic
1 Brown Onion, diced
1/2 Bunch of Celery, diced
4 small Carrots, diced
1 large Zucchini, diced
2 Tomatoes, diced
3 cups of Silverbeet, roughly chopped
3 Tsp of Oregano
2 Tsp of Basil
2 Tsp of Thyme
4 Bay Leaves
2L of Vegetable Stock
2 tins of Organic Brown Lentils, drained and rinsed well
2 tins of Organic Diced Tomatoes
5 Macadamias, finely grated
2 Tbs of Nutritional yeast
- Begin by chopping and preparing all of the vegetables.
- Heat a large soup pot or pan with the oil. Add in the garlic and the onion and sauté until softened and golden, on a medium heat.
- Next add in the bay leaves, the carrot and the celery and stir well. Cover, cooking for 5 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add in all of the spices, the zucchini, the tomato, the 2 tins of diced tomatoes and the stock and stir well.
- Bring to a boil, then turn the heat down to a simmer. Cover 3/4 of the way. Cook for 20 minutes.
- Drain the lentils and rinse them very thoroughly.
- After the 20 minutes, add in the silverbeet and the 2 tins of lentils. Stir.
- Cook for a further 30 minutes, slightly covered.
- Grate the macadamias finely and add to a small bowl, add the nutritional yeast. This will be the ‘parmesan’ to serve with after.
- Once the 30 minutes is up, season the soup well with salt and pepper and remove the bay leaves.
- Remove from heat and serve.
My vegetable stock was very weak, so I ended up adding quite a bit of salt and pepper to my soup. Just test yours before you add any more salt, as most stocks very in salt content and might be over powering! 🙂
You can serve it into containers and use it for meal prep for the week. It can also be frozen!
And there you have it, my very chunky, very Italian, LENTIL SOUP!
Happy cooking lovely’s,